Friday, March 09, 2007

Michael Feinstein Dissed My Family

Some of you may have seen the PBS documentary on "Soundies," those 1940s precursors to the music videos of today. Hosted by Michael Feinstein, the program, which aired this week, was loads of fun, but there was a serious, if not fatal, omission. My distant relatives, The Three Suns, who made a number of soundies, were nowhere to be found in the program. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, appalled, pissed off. I considered this omission a personal affront. Liberace made the cut. Lawrence Welk made the cut. But no Three Suns.




Happily, Michael Toth's Three Suns Universe site features clips from three of the Suns' soundies. You can watch them here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Nevens said...

Peter,
Thank you for bringing "Soundies" to our attention. I would have purchased the DVD had Feinstein not made such a serious omission. Having The Three Suns' soundies on DVD would be a real treasure. My husband is also their distant relative and I would have added the DVD to memorabilia pertaining to the family tree. Maybe someone will include them in that format in the future.
Barbara

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a break! There were THOUSANDS of soundies by hundreds of artists produced over those 7 years (1941-1947). This wasn't a series ... it was a single 77-minute special. Calling this a "diss" is idiotic. Grow up!

I *am* glad that there are ways to find and see/hear these classic recordings beyond that single show (so thanks for the link) ... but your tone and approach to the whole thing is a real turn off.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

I guess anonymous doesn't know from irony.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home