Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Criminy! The Osteria del Circo Gelato Cart May Be History

In my magnum ice cream opus I had proclaimed that the gelato sold during the summer months from a cart in front of the restaurant Osteria del Circo, on West 55th St., was perhaps the best, most authentic traditional gelato I'd had outside of Italy. They normally brought the cart out from June through early-September. As summer approached this year my mouth started watering with Pavlovian gelato memories. I pass Osteria del Circo just about every night after six, as I walk from my office on East 55th street to the subway at 7th Avenue and 57th. I started looking for the gelato cart just after Memorial Day. No cart. I checked every night in June. No cart. Maybe I had misremembered, I thought. Maybe they don't start until July. So last night I walked by the restaurant and there was still no cart. I buttonholed the waiter who was serving the outdoor tables. "Is there going to be a gelato cart this summer?" I asked.

"I don't know what's happening," he replied. "I think they had to apply for a permit. I don't know." I guess he didn't know, but it's not looking good.

I'm jonesing for that gelato. Mike Bloomberg, I think you've been doing a pretty good job as mayor (despite the fact that just about anybody would look good after Giuliani and Koch), but I'd unequivocally declare you a great mayor, one of the greatest mayors in the history of New York City, if you'd drop everything and push through that gelato permit for Osteria del Circo. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, gelato!
It always leaves an ecstatic smile on my face.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home