Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Windows of My Childhood

I was back in the old neighborhood today, to meet a friend for lunch. Returning to the scene of my childhood is always a bittersweet experience, mostly bitter. I had my camera with me, and I shot the above photo of the windows of the apartment I lived in for the first twenty-one years of my life. The second window from the right was my bedroom window. The one major advantage to living on the first floor was that when Dave, the Good Humor man, drove down the block and rang his bells I could open up the window and yell out, "Dave! A toasted almond," or, starting in 1965, when "Super Humors" were introduced, "Dave! A chocolate chip candy," and Dave would deliver to my window.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Kelly said...

Hello Peter!

Funny that I would pop onto WofM today... I've been back in my old stomping grounds of Seattle for nearly two years now and am constantly running into "ghosts" of my childhood.

I sure do miss Memphis, especially because of the easy access to NYC. Haven't been there in too long.

Keep on writing your interesting reports! I'll be in touch before my next trip east. You can read my reviews in The Seattle Post-Intelligencer. (http://www.seattlepi.com/dining) ... still hunting for a place that does chicken roasted under a brick like that wonderful spot you recommended in the East Village!

Leslie Kelly

7:55 PM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

Leslie, nice to hear from you. I'm sure there's lots more variety to write about in Seattle. The last time I was in Seattle (pre-blog) I had the wonderful suckling pig at Brasa.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

It's interesting that your good memory of that place involves food.

Today, after we emailed each other, I was thinking about your (very well-written) blog, I wondered if you can understand those of us who really don't think or care about food very much.

I guess most people like me don't read your blog.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

Richard, I don't understand you at all.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

Besides, when you're a kid ice cream isn't food--it's a lifestyle choice.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home