Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Dream with Buchanan

In this dream, which I had last night, or more precisely this morning just before awakening, I was participating in a conference or a panel, or some kind of important deliberations. There were about twenty people seated around an imposing mahogany table. This event was taking place over multiple days. I had no idea when it would end, and I didn't know what it was all about. But I could tell it was important, because most of the people around the table were well-known political and public figures. I can only remember two of them, though: Clarence Thomas and the late Thurgood Marshall. Then there were four nonentities, me and three others, two men and one woman. None of us did any talking at the table; we were observers. We were all clueless about why we were included, so we bonded with each other and chatted on breaks.

During one of the breaks the woman said to me, "After this is over I'm leaving town." I was disappointed, because I was attracted to her.

"Oh," I said, "where are you going?"

"Back home," she replied. "I finished my degree and now I'm going to work in the community."

"Oh, was your degree in social work?" I asked.

"No, Buchanan," she said.

"Buchanan? Is that anything like social work?" I asked.

"No," she replied, "it's a holistic therapy for the mouth, teeth and gums. Let me look in your mouth."

No way I'm going to let this flake look in my mouth, I thought. Now that I had learned of her new age proclivities I was no longer attracted to her. "YOU'RE NOT LOOKING IN MY MOUTH!" I screamed. Then I woke up.

The first thing I wondered when I woke up was: what was this Buchanan thing all about? I was going to be flying to San Francisco in a few hours. Could I have been thinking of Buchanan Street? Then I noticed that the TV was on. It was "Morning Joe," on MSNBC. I had fallen asleep last night watching the post-debate programming. Pat Buchanan is one of the regular guest commentators on "Morning Joe." Somehow his voice or his name, and the political discussion in general, had invaded my unconscious and shaped the dream.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cormac Brown said...

Maybe you weren't going to land at SFO, but Buchanan Field?

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home