Thursday, August 13, 2009

Let Pete Eat Cake (Pisac Market, Sacred Valley, Peru)


This is my first dispatch from Peru, and it's a piece of cake. I've been here since Sunday, in Cusco and Ollantataytambo, in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, as well as some stops along the way, including the market in Pisac. The Pisac market is biggest on Sundays, but I went on Tuesday, and there's also one on Thursdays. When I got there, the first thing I noticed was a table where some women were selling cakes and juices. The smell from one of these cakes was wafting, beckoning me. "Eat me! Eat me!" it said, and I obeyed.

It was a torta de naranja, orange cake. I think it's basically an orange-flavored pound cake. It was absolutely delicious: still warm, simple, fresh tasting, and utterly moist. It cost me 2 soles (there are 3 to a dollar). I don't know whether a local would be charged less, but I was quite happy to pay 65 cents for that wonderful piece of cake.

You'll hear more about Peru, but I don't really feel like writing while I'm on vacation, so please be patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home