Saturday, September 04, 2010

My Cleansing Diet

You wanna hear about my cleansing diet? I'll tell you about my cleansing diet. I eat whatever the fuck I want, then I shit it out.

For some reason, among all the quackery and faddishness in the health world, the mania for cleansing diets and the bogus premises behind them really stick in my craw. Maybe I need a craw cleanse.

Really it all boils down to squeamishness and the ability of snake oil salesmen to capitalize on it. People who live in terror of the natural messiness of life want to believe that they can clean everything up with a magic bullet. But most sane medical practitioners tend to agree that not only are cleansing diets potentially dangerous, they're probably useless too (see this article from Web MD). Anyway, there's a great system for cleansing the human body, and it's the human body itself, a generally efficient, integrated system for processing nutrients and disposing of waste.

I don't even want to think about what cleansing diet proponents must be like in bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Petercherches, I am aware of the strong sentiment held by many who live by the concrete world. Yes or No, Up or down, left or right no fooling around with the unknown. But I do have a story to tell you. One day a friend from work advised me her husband had lukemia and finished his chemotherapy. He was in follow up maintenance. I only know she advised me his "numbers" were not getting worse but they were not getting better, ie, he was stable but there was an unknown happening and they could not give him more chemo...it was a waiting game. I suggested (only because she asked), I told her about a product called "Naturade Immune" formula a liquid Aloe base, with Pau D'Arco, reishi mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, milk thistle and a few other herbs I can't remember. Well I scoured the health food stores and had to go online to find it was bought out and marketed under "Lily of the Desert" with a slight spin on the formula. She ordered it from her local health food store, and somehow got her husband, the skeptic, to take 1-2 tablespoons on an empty stomach each morning 1/2 hour before breakfast. Within about 2 weeks the good news was the "numbers" improved. She was so happy she even 'loaned' some to another friend who's son had another cancer. Soooo, a cleanse can be as simple as raw food in a juicer for a while, or a capsule cleanse which would contain as many as 30 herbs in the 10 day treatment. The Aloe product just was a healer specific to the cancer.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anonymous cook says:

I thought a cleansing diet was when I washed my kid's mouth out with soap...

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand your annoyance with extreme and dangerous diets, but the only qualm I have about your philosophy is that many people stuff their mouths with items that for all nutritional purposes don't even qualify as food—such as McDonald's and the like.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

herbal-green-zone.com, that is far from scientific. How do you know it wasn't coincidence that the body didn't naturally recover like the doctors were waiting for (without the aid of that junk you're slinging)?

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home